Sunrise 12, June 2014, First Sitting
Q1. A- Read the following passage carefully then answer (5) of the questions that follow. (10Ms)
Fibre optics is used by many telecommunication companies to transmit telephone signals, internet communications and television signals. Fire optic cables have large advantages over copper wire in long distance and high demand applications. However, fibre optic systems seemed to be complicated and expensive to install and operate. Because of these difficulties, fibre optic communication systems have primarily been installed in long distance applications, where they can be used to their full transmission capacity. Since 2000 the prices for fibre optic communications have dropped largely. The price for rolling out fibre to the home has currently become more expensive than that of rolling out a copper based network. Prices have dropped in the USA and in countries like Netherlands, where digging costs are low.
Since 1990s the systems have become commercially available. The telecommunication industry has laid a vast network of underground and underwater fibre communication lines. By 2002, an international network of 250,000 km of submarine communication cable was completed.
1. Why do telecommunication companies use fibre optics?
- Telecommunication companies use fibre optics because they have large advantages over copper wire in long distance and high demand applications.
2. How did fibre optic systems seem to be?
- Fibre optic systems seemed to be complicated and expensive to install and operate.
3. When have the prices for fibre optic communications dropped largely?
- Since 2000 the prices for fibre optic communications have dropped largely.
4. Has the price for rolling out fibre to the home become cheaper or more expensive than copper based network.
- The price for rolling out fibre to the home has become more expensive than that of rolling out a copper based network.
5. What do the dates (1990) and (2002) refer to?
- (1990) refers to the year(s) that the systems have become commercially available.
- (2002) refers to the year that an international network of 250,000 km of submarine communication cable was completed.
6. From the passage find the opposite of (simple) and (low).
- simple X complicated
- low X high
B- Choose the correct answer. (choose 5) (10 Ms)
1. Grade 12 student Layla Jaff..................
a- was too relaxed about her exam b- failed the last test
c- left all her revision till the night before the exam d- was too anxious about her exam
2. In Canada, teachers had to build a system which connected ...................
a- schools and social sites b- friends and people with similar interests
c- schools and libraries d- teachers and students
3. Chris Car promised to help the Kurdish people by.....................
a- writing about the Anfal in his newspaper b- looking at the photos of the Anfal
c- visiting Dr. Haval at the museum d- writing about the rapid developments in Kurdistan
4. You have to fill in a landing card before................
a- you get your boarding pass b- you go through passport control
c- your plane lands d- you check in your luggage
5. Archaeologists want to investigate the mound of Erbil's citadel because.............
a-it is in the center of the city b-the remains of many cities lie one below another
c- the houses are damaged d- it was welcome to the Silk Road merchants
6. Scientists believe that................
a- new farmland must be farmed carefully b- the land should have remained grassland
c- there is no solution for the coming food crisis d- farming on new land can never succeed
Q2.A- Underline the silent letter/letters in the following words (choose 5) (5Ms)
1. designer (g, r) 2. wrist (w) 3. heritage (a, e) 4. debts (b) 5. whenever (h, r) 6. calm (l)
B- Choose the phonetic symbol for the underlined letter/letters from the box. (choose 5) (5Ms)
1. delicious - /ʃ/ 2. flood - /٨/
3. heart - /a:/ 4. stern - /3:/
5. annoy - /oi/ 6. structure - /tʃ/
7. gradually /d3/
C- Use the correct form of the passive (choose 3) 6Ms
1. Develop cures for this killer disease. (just)
- Cures for this killer disease have just been developed.
2. Find the answer for the most difficult question. (now)
- The answer for the most difficult question is being found now.
3. Record the final scene of the film. (next Monday)
- The final scene of the film will be recorded next Monday.
4. Move the luggage to the new house. (yesterday)
- The luggage was moved to the new house yesterday.
D- Use the correct form of reported speech. (choose 2) (4Ms)
1- Try the best way in doing the work. (My brother asked me......)
- My brother asked me to try the best way in doing the work.
2- When did you get your new car? (Sana wanted to know..........)
- Sana wanted to know when I had got my new car.
3- Are they in the library now? (He inquired............)
- He inquired if they were in the library then.
Q3.A- Write down the missing words (10Ms)
B- Choose the correct word between the brackets (5Ms)
1- Go back to the place................you were before. (where, when)
2- I have a very difficult exam tomorrow and I am really............ . (frightened, nervous)
3- We can do many things from now on...........we can reduce using electricity. (therefore, for example)
4- Are you.............in these kinds of novels? (interested, interesting)
5- The doctors tried hard to save his life, but it was all...........and the man died. (for free, for nothing)
C- Match these words with their definitions (5Ms)
1- Specialize = b- to become an expert in one area of work, study etc.
2- Inquire = e- to ask someone for information about something
3- Agreement = d-something decided or arranged between people, organizations about what to do
4- Seminar = a- a meeting or a class where a small group of people discuss a subject.
5- Various = c- several different
Q4.A- Choose the correct answer. (choose 5) (10Ms)
1. You have to take your passport and the air ticket,................?
a- didn't you b- haven't you c-don't you d- aren't you
2. The organizer of the program................yet.
a- hasn't started b- wasn't start c- haven't started d- is starting
3. If you................faster, you...............been the first winner.
a- run/could have b- have run/would have c- had run/could have d- could have run/have
4. In the early twentieth century fibre optics was used in medicine.......looking inside the human body.
a- so as to b-for the purpose of c- so that d- in order to
5. After he............the report, he ................the office.
a- had typed/left b- typed/had left c- will type/leaves d-has typed/left
6. These new workers are not...........................hard.
a- using to work b- used to work c- used to working d- use to work
B- Do as required (choose 5) (10Ms)
1. They have to take enough water, or they will get thirsty. (Use: as long as)
- As long as they take enough water, they will not get thirsty.
2. The early Oklahoma farmers had grown two crops. Add extra information. Use (were corn and cotton)
- The early Oklahoma farmers had grown two crops, which were corn and cotton.
3. Why didn't you cut down the tree? Well, I (not be), strong, (do), that. (Use: enough)
- Well, I was not strong enough to do that.
4. It is very cold outdoors. (...........stay here in this room?) (Use the correct form of suggestion)
- Why not
5. For the last three weeks, Aram was working in the farm. (possibility/ watering the new plants)
- Aram may have been watering the new plants.
6. .............with our help desk adviser, we knew that we were going the wrong way. (Use "while" and the participle form of the verb "talk")
- While talking
Q5.A- Write a composition about how we can save the precious resources through the use of the Four Rs. (Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle) give an example for each. (8Ms)
It is very important to avoid wasting precious resources, and there are many things that we can all do to help save them.
First of all, we need to reduce the amount of resources that we use. For example, we can turn off the lights when we leave a room.
Secondly, we have to reuse things as much as possible. For instance, we should keep old pots and cans to plant flowers and vegetables.
Thirdly, we must repair things when possible. To give an example, we should replace buttons that are missing from clothes.
Finally, it is important to recycle things instead of putting them in the rubbish. As one example, we should save old glass jars and bottles to be turned into new ones.
B- Answer (ONE) of the following to write a paragraph about the given topics. (12Ms)
1- "THE VOYAGE BEGINS'' When did the crew get the Hispaniola ready to leave for Bristol? What did they ask Silver to do? What did Jim remember? How was the journey at the beginning? Who was a problem? Why? How was Silver with everyone? What did he keep in a cage?
It took all night until they got the Hispaniola ready to leave for Bristol. The crew asked Silver to sing them a song. Jim remembered the Admiral Benbow and Captain Bill. The journey was good at the beginning. Mr Arrow, the ship's mate, was a problem because he was too friendly with the crew and had no control over the men. Silver was friendly with everyone. He kept a parrot, Flint, in a cage.
2- "THE STOCKADE" What was the stockade? Describe it. Why did the walls have several holes? How was the stockade completed? How did it seem to be? Why did the doctor, Joyce, and the others move the supplies to the stockade? What was their plan?
The stockade was a strong wooden house, which was big enough to hold about twenty people, had been built by this spring. The wall had several holes in it so that muskets could be fired from inside. The stockade was completed by a tall fence. With its fresh water and strong walls, the stockade seemed be the best place for them to stay. The doctor, Joyce, and the others moved the supplies to the stockade because they wanted to stay there to be safe from the pirates. Their plan was to bring all the supplies, guns and powder to the stockade.